Kate Shafto, MD, FAAP, FACP
Medical School, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Medicine Pediatrics Residency, University of Illinois, St. Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL
BS, Grove City College, Grove City, PA
Licensures and Certifications
Kate Shafto is board certified in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and Integrative Medicine (ABIOM) after completing a 2 year fellowship through University of Arizona, Center for Integrative Medicine, Class of 2017. She is the Course Director for a first and second year medical school course (Foundations of Clinical Thinking),. She is the Site Lead for the Global Medicine/Pediatrics partnership with colleagues in Cochabamba, Bolivia working in community health promotion. Her clinical work is at Hennepin Healthcare where she practices Integrative Pain Management.
Dr. Shafto teaches a course she co-developed called Food Matters (with Chef Jenny Breen), which uses experiential learning to teach applied nutrition concepts and food as medicine. This class was piloted with medical students and has been expanded to include health professional students from all disciplines, offered for 1 credit through the Center for Spirituality and Healing. This class has led to various iterations of the course including for practicing health professionals (CME/CEU), with North Minneapolis community members seeking to improve management of diabetes and hypertension through food and cooking, as well as other consulting work in this field.
Her research interests include studying the outcomes of nutrition, cooking and lifestyle-related educational interventions with health professional students and practicing providers on both personal wellbeing and inclusion of evidence-based lifestyle-first interventions in patient care.
In her free time she enjoys spending time with her husband, cooking, learning organic farming (Big River Farms), practicing yoga, music, hiking, skiing, travel, and experiencing other cultures locally and abroad.
- Nutrition and health
- Tropical Medicine/Global Health
Awards & Recognition
- Excellence in Education Award (General Internal Medicine) (October 2017)
- University Impact Course of the Year: Food Matters for Health Professionals,
Center for Spirituality and Healing (2017)
- Herz Award for Faculty Development (2015)
- Herz Award for Faculty Development (2014)
- Resident of the Year Teaching Award University of Illinois /St.Francis Medical Center (2010)
- Med/Peds Senior of the Year University of Illinois/ St.Francis Medical Center (2010)
- Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine and Health (2016-present)
Minnesota Holistic Medicine Group (2015 - present)
- Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine (2015 - present)
- AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) (2006 – present)
- ASTMH (American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene) (2011 – present)
- NMPRA (National Med-Peds Residents’ Association) (2006 – 2010)
- SHM (Society of Hospital Medicine) (2010 – 2015)
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
Academic Interests and Focus
Global health education and training; Mentoring, medical student education
Social determinants of health; Clinical medical education and inter-professional communication
Clinical Experience Statement
Hospitalist practice in pediatrics and internal medicine