The Summer Institute will not be offered in 2022. 2023 Dates TBD.
The Holistic Health & Healing Summer Institute will give participants broad exposure to the application of integrative health and healing modalities and strategies for patients, families, staff, and health systems. As hospitals and other clinical settings begin to offer more holistic approaches to care, questions can arise regarding the role of providers, the processes of care, the physical environment, and organizational cultures. This program is meant to immerse participants in theories and practices offering tools and information that you can readily apply in your own setting. Through didactic, online, and experiential learning, participants will acquire the knowledge of evidence based research and skills to care for patients and provide leadership to create optimal healing environments. Ideal for nursing and other healthcare professionals wanting to bring holistic health and healing practices to their organizations.
By the end of the course, students will:
- Analyze the impact that culture, history, and politics have on conventional and integrative health practices, including factors such as research funding, publication bias, attitudes of conventional practitioners, and the history of new ideas in medicine.
- Describe the theoretical constructs, practices, safety, efficacy, and evidence base of selected integrative modalities.
- Experience several types of integrative practices and interact with professionals in those areas.
- Discuss research methodologies to address the safety and efficacy of integrative therapies.
- Discuss clinical practice application of appropriate use of integrative therapies in a variety of clinical settings and processes.
- Recognize and develop an appreciation for different ways of knowing and healing.
The Institute is based at Woodwinds Health Campus, an extraordinary healthcare facility in Minnesota that is a model optimal healing environment.
Faculty includes experts from the University of Minnesota’s Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing and School of Nursing as well as Woodwinds Health Campus and other local and national leaders in integrative health and healing.