Burnout is a critical issue among health professionals. Those experiencing burnout are more likely to develop alcohol abuse/dependence, and are at an increased risk of developing depression and suicidal ideation. Physicians die by suicide at two times the rate of the general population and have a depression rate of 39%. 24% of ICU nurses tested positive for symptoms of PTSD, and there is a 23-31% prevalence rate of emotional exhaustion among primary care nurses.
While much needs to be done at the organizational level to foster cultures of wellbeing, it is essential for individual healthcare professionals to cultivate their own personal wellbeing and resilience. This six-week, mobile-platform based foundational program builds the skills to do just that.
The program was developed with input from health care leaders and can be accessed anytime, anywhere - while going for a run, on the commute to work, or while relaxing at home.
Listen to weekly presentations, develop skills on the job, participate in online discussions, receive weekly motivational emails, and more! Included are pre/post measures gauging stress, burnout, and resilience. The program also includes ideas for leaders to incorporate wellbeing and resilience into the culture of their department or organization. Activities take about 45 minutes per week, self-paced.
- Surviving the Challenges of the Healthcare Environment - Why healthcare organizations need to address provider burnout and what you can do for yourself.
- Mindfulness for Wellbeing - How mindfulness can protect us from stress and help us function more effectively at work and home.
- Lifestyle Change: How to Get Unstuck - How you can get unstuck and make the changes you want in your life.
- Working with Thoughts and Emotions - How to work with your thoughts and emotions for a positive effect on your behavior and health.
- Discovering Purpose, Meaning and Joy - How discovering meaning in work protects you from burnout.
- Relationships and Resilience - How connecting with others at work and at home provides essential support and promotes resilience.
Featured program experts:
- Week 1 - Kaz Nelson, MD
- Week 2 - Alex Haley, JD, MBA
- Week 3 - Karen Lawson, MD
- Week 4 - Lidia Zylowska, MD
- Week 5 - Mary Jo Kreitzer, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Week 6 - Liz Ferron, MSW, LICSW
- Femi Akinnagbe, Medical Student
- Abdel 'Ab' Ghani El Rafei, Medical Resident