Burnout is a critical issue among health professionals. Those experiencing burnout are more likely to develop alcohol abuse/dependence, and are at an increased risk of developing depression and suicidal ideation. Physicians die by suicide at two times the rate of the general population and have a depression rate of 39%. 24% of ICU nurses tested positive for symptoms of PTSD, and there is a 23-31% prevalence rate of emotional exhaustion among primary care nurses.
While much needs to be done at the organizational level to foster cultures of wellbeing, it is essential for individual healthcare professionals to cultivate their own personal wellbeing and resilience. This six-week, mobile-platform based foundational program builds the skills to do just that. The program was developed with input from health care leaders and can be accessed anytime, anywhere - while going for a run, on the commute to work, or while relaxing at home.
Sliding Scale Pricing
The Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing is deeply committed to the wellbeing and flourishing of all communities. In order to make our programming accessible to a broader audience, we have implemented a sliding scale fee structure.
The suggested registration fee for this program is $75. We also offer a scholarship rate of $50 and a supporter rate of $99 for those who would like to contribute toward making this programming accessible to all.
We do not want cost to be a barrier to participating in our programming. If you are not able to pay one of the listed registration fees, you are able to take the program at no cost.
- Surviving the Challenges of the Healthcare Environment - Why healthcare organizations need to address provider burnout and what you can do for yourself.
- Mindfulness for Wellbeing - How mindfulness can protect us from stress and help us function more effectively at work and home.
- Lifestyle Change: How to Get Unstuck - How you can get unstuck and make the changes you want in your life.
- Working with Thoughts and Emotions - How to work with your thoughts and emotions for a positive effect on your behavior and health.
- Discovering Purpose, Meaning and Joy - How discovering meaning in work protects you from burnout.
- Relationships and Resilience - How connecting with others at work and at home provides essential support and promotes resilience.
Each week's activities will take about 45 minutes to complete and include the following:
- Listen to an interview with an expert
- Learn easy strategies to try on the job
- Develop skills that will become second nature over time
- Review key points
In addition, each week we provide PDFs of material that can be saved or printed for future use, along with other helpful resources to pursue.
Featured program experts:
- Week 1 - Kaz Nelson, MD
- Week 2 - Alex Haley, JD, MBA
- Week 3 - Karen Lawson, MD
- Week 4 - Lidia Zylowska, MD
- Week 5 - Mary Jo Kreitzer, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Week 6 - Liz Ferron, MSW, LICSW
- Femi Akinnagbe, Medical Student
- Abdel 'Ab' Ghani El Rafei, Medical Resident