Our mission is to advance whole health and wellbeing by providing interprofessional education, conducting research, advancing integrative models of care, and delivering innovative community engagement programs.
We offer a number of programs, resources, and continuing education opportunities for health professionals to explore their health and wellbeing.
Questions or comments regarding our programming? Please reach out to the Bakken Center's community relations office ([email protected], 612-625-8164). We welcome the opportunity to connect with you!
- Food Matters for Health Professionals Continuing Education Program: Offered online via Zoom, this experiential program including hands-on cooking addresses the role of food in specific health conditions and its function in health promotion and disease prevention.
- Wellbeing & Resilience for Health Professionals and Wellbeing & Resilience for Physicians: While much needs to be done at the organizational level to foster cultures of wellbeing, it is essential for individual health professionals to cultivate their own personal wellbeing and resilience. This six-week, self-paced foundational program builds the skills to do just that.
- Integrative Nursing Specialization through Coursera: The specialization teaches a patient-centered, relationship-based approach to nursing that utilizes a variety of integrative healing modalities.
- Integrative Health and Medicine Specialization through Coursera: The specialization teaches how to incorporate complementary therapies in clinical practice to improve outcomes and promote wellbeing.
- Organizational Wellbeing Programming: The Bakken Center offers a variety of organizational wellbeing programming for healthcare organizations including virtual and in person workshops, programs, and retreats.
- Community Programs: The Bakken Center has many other programs and webinars available to the general public that focus on mindfulness, self-care, and mental health topics.
- You DO Matter: This collection of quick activities and resources is designed to address stress and enhance wellbeing in front line workers.
- Whole Systems Healing: Whole Systems Healing is a way of cultivating the health and wellbeing of individuals, communities, organizations, societies, and the environment by living and acting with awareness of the wholeness and the interconnectedness of all living systems. Find resources, online modules, and exercises.
- Taking Charge of Your Health & Wellbeing: Free resources and articles with credible information on topics such as enhancing wellbeing, exploring complementary and integrative healing practices, and navigating the healthcare system.
- Taking Charge of Your Survivorship: Free resources and articles that include safe, reliable, and evidence-informed information about how to navigate life from diagnosis of a life altering disease, through treatment, and beyond survivorship.
- Health Professionals E-Newsletter: Receive health and wellbeing resources for health professionals and program updates from the Bakken Center.
Integrative nursing is a way of being-knowing-doing that advances the health and wellbeing of persons, families, and communities through caring and healing relationships. Integrative nurses use evidence to inform traditional and emerging interventions that support whole person and whole systems healing.
- Integrative Nursing Webinar Series: We partner with Washington State University College of Nursing to provide continuing nursing education contact hours for our free Integrative Nursing webinar series (applicable webinars will note “Integrative Nursing” in the webinar title). You can also watch recordings of the past webinars to claim CEUs.
- Integrative Nursing Facebook Community: Connect with other members of the Integrative Nursing community and receive updates about programs and resources related to the field.
Academic Programs and Courses
Academic Courses: The Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing has offered academic courses that focus on integrative healing and wellbeing for more than two decades. These courses include opportunities for learning abroad. They are open to current undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Minnesota, students at other academic institutions, and lifelong learners in the community. Suggestions for health professionals include:
- CSPH 5101 Introduction to Integrative Healing Practices
- CSPH 5102 Personal Wellbeing: The Journey of Self-Care
- CSPH 5313 Acupressure
- CSPH 5503 Aromatherapy Fundamentals
- CSPH 5806 Wellbeing and Resiliency for Health Professionals
- CSPH 5905 Food Matters: Cook Like Your Life Depends on It
- And many more!
Academic Programs: The Center’s graduate degree programs include a Master of Arts in Integrative Health and Wellbeing Coaching, and a Minor and Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Integrative Therapies and Healing Practices. Students learn to succeed in interprofessional, team-based healthcare environments.